Friday, July 24, 2009

A Relatively Uneventful Week

Last Thursday, July 16th, was chemo #8 out of 12. The day started with another pulmonary function test to measure the effects of one of the chemo drugs, bleomycin, on my lung function. As mentioned in my last entry, it is a common side effect for bleomycin to reduce the lungs' ability to diffuse the oxygen into the bloodstream. As with the previous test, the limits were reduced, so once again, chemo was administered without the bleomycin.

The reduced oxygen levels presented a new set of challenges, an increased level of fatigue, headaches and shortness of breath.

To rectify the breathing issue, the doctors prescribed a course of steroids to help reduce the inflammation in my lungs. After 5 days of steroids, I felt much better, could breathe more easily and had regained some lost strength -- I just now run the risk of failing my drug test for the MLB!

My weekly hospital visit yesterday showed good white blood counts -- also a beneficiary of the steroid treatments. The only downside is that the increased steroids in my system, combined with an already reduced immune function set the stage for a fungal infection to grow in my throat. So, to prevent me from sprouting mushrooms, I am now on a five day course of yet another drug, fluconazole -- this should do the trick and clear up my throat in short order.

Next on the docket is an echo-cardiogram on Tuesday and then yet another pulmonary function test on Thursday, before Chemo treatment #9.

At this point, I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. I try to focus on the positive -- how far I've come so far and the relatively short duration of treatment still remaining. If all continues to go well, my last treatment will be September 10th. There are certainly still good days and "less than" good days, but with the continued support of family and friends, we'll keep plugging forward.

Well, that's it for today. Thanks for reading. I'll write again when I have something meaningful to share. Now go out and do something positive today, hug a loved one and count your blessings!

Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment