Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Bump in the Road

I am writing this blog entry from room 1180 in the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Even though the view of Fenway Park and the Boston Skyline rivals that of a 5-star hotel, A hospital stay was not in my plans for this week.

The events leading up to my stay transpired rather swiftly. On Monday night, I noticed my throat was getting sore again and I felt a bit "warm" (that's medical jargon for a fever) The thermometer confirmed my assumption and I was indeed running a fever of 100.7F.

I wasn't overly concerned and since I was already scheduled to be at the hospital for an echocardiogram on Tuesday morning, I thought I could stop in after to see the doc, get a quick prescription for an antibiotic and be on my way.

No such luck.

Evidently a fever over 100 freaks everybody out around here. After a full set of blood labs, throat culture, and chest x-ray, they started me on IV antibiotics.

It turns out that my white blood count is extremely low, so they had to give me an injection of Neupogen. This medication stimulates the blood system (bone marrow) to make white blood cells, helping you fight infections.

So for the time being, it looks like my immune system is too weak for the "outside world", so they admitted me on Tuesday and I'll be their guest for the next couple days so they can continue the IV antibiotics and monitor my counts around the clock.

Even though the surprise hospital stay is a bit inconvenient, I am grateful that my doctors are so thorough and proactive with my care.

Well, that's it for today (unless something exciting happens!!!). Thanks for reading. I'll write again when I have something meaningful to share. Now, as I always request, please go out and do something positive today, hug a loved one and count your blessings!

Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment