Monday, September 20, 2010

No News is Good News

Well, first let me apologize for the very long hiatus in my writings -- but I must admit, I think I forewarned you. In my prior posts I usually set the expectations that my next post would occur following an event worth commenting upon. Well, fortunately, there has been and is still nothing really newsworthy after 10+ months.

I did however want to take a moment just to check in. I still get notes and letters from friends and family wishing me well and making sure I'm OK. Well thank you! I am doing just fine.

Sitting at dinner tonight, we were reflecting upon the past year (well almost a year) since my last chemo treatment. It's hard to believe that the year has passed so quickly. During my treatment, it seemed that every day lingered and each sunrise was met with the reluctant anticipation of yet another series of tests, treatment, nausea or fatigue. Now, 11 months later I jump out of bed and meet each day with unrestrained exuberance (not really, but it made for a good visual).

Since my last blog entry in November, I have had three more PET scans. All the results have been favorable and have confirmed that I am still in remission. My PET Scans and doctor visits will continue every 3-6 months for the next 5 years, at which time if still "clean" I will be considered cured.

In June, I had surgery to remove my port-a-catheter from my chest. I faced this procedure with mixed emotions. While I was happy to have the hardware removed from my body, I also recognized this meant that future blood draws would be targeted at my tired and worn out veins, rather than siphoned from the spongy center of the port. I made it through surgery without any issues and my last venous puncture went off without a hitch --- and no fainting either.

Life is pretty much back to normal -- as normal as life gets with three kids -- juggling high school, middle school, elementary school, homework, projects and soccer. It's hectic, but it sure beats sitting in a chair waiting for your next dose of meds!

Carolyn and the kids have emerged from this whole ordeal seemingly unscathed. It's amazing to me to see how strong everyone remained throughout the duration of my treatments. I know there were many challenging days, but everyone maintained a positive outlook and kept on keeping on.

As many of you know, in May, Carolyn, Julia and Paige participated in a 5 mile run for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LSS). Brett, my dad and I also participated, but we opted to walk. Carolyn spearheaded the fund raising campaign and was successful in raising over $4,300 for LSS --- thank you all for your generous donations!

Over the past months, a few friends have asked if this experience has changed me. Honestly, I'm not quite sure. I think I appreciate the "moments" more, but I also seem to have less tolerance for bullshit -- (can I say that on a public blog? -- anyone know the FCC's jurisdiction?) I've never been one for confrontation, but now, I really can't be bothered -- life's too short to be bitter and try to pick a fight or debate every topic -- Carolyn has always said that I tend to be overly optimistic and prefer to see the glass as half-full, but at this point, I think I have good reason to!

Before I sign off, I want to ask a favor. There are two people in my life that need your good wishes and prayers right now, my friend Beth and my nephew Travis. Both are currently battling cancer. Although they are both receiving the best attention that today's medical technology can provide, I believe your thoughts, prayers and good wishes can only help.

Thank you for reading. I promise to check in from time to time -- even though hopefully, I will have nothing eventful to report. In the meantime, please go out and do something postive today, hug a loved one and count your blessings.


Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment